Thursday, December 18, 2008

Vtech LS5145 5.8 GHz Digital Cordless Phone System with Bluetooth Wireless Technology

The Vtech LS5145 5.8 GHz Digital Cordless Phone System with Bluetooth Wireless Technology offers a home office phone system with a wide range of advanced features and the possibility to expand as more handsets are needed. Operating on the 5.8 GHz spectrum, the LS5145 features better range, clarity, and security than 2.4 GHz phones. With the system's Bluetooth technology, you can connect to Bluetooth cell phones and make and receive cell phone calls. Phonebook entries and caller ID show clearly on the phone's high-resolution 64K color display. The LS5145 has enough memory to store 100 names and numbers in the phonebook directory.

The base can support up to 12 handsets as you need more. (Each handset is sold separately.) A built-in digital answering machine with 15 minutes of recording time records messages on microchips for reliable performance, instant access to messages, and the ability to selectively save and delete messages. The handset features a Speakerphone for hands-free conversations. It is capable of polyphonic music ringtones, and for the utmost personalization can even record ringtones from your PC, MP3 player, or stereo equipment. The base also has a keypad and Speakerphone.
Customer Review: Wish I could give it zero stars
Avoid this overpriced-underfeatured phone at all costs, unless the only reason you buy it is for the cool shape. To it's credit, this beautiful, expensive feeling phone looks a lot like a Bang & Olufson, and the range is fairly decent (I can get about 900 feet away from the base, walking to my mailbox). The base speakerphone is actually quite impressive, in fact the only one I have ever used without callers suspecting I am on speaker. Those are are the only good things I can say about it. However, when it comes to the phone itself, it is the most worthless phone I have ever owned. Wireless phones from 10-12 years ago have more features than this model. The battery life is very short - on a call you have about 60 minutes from full charge until the battery is dead; on standby you have 3-5 hours and 80 percent of your charge is lost, leaving you with 10-15 minutes of talktime. VTech has replaced both the base and the extensions I bought, the new phones have the same short battery life. They let me keep the batteries from the other phones, so I have 6, but who wants to spend this much for the phone and then manually swap batteries 2x a day? Want to share phonebooks on all of your extensions without manually re-entering them (Which your old cheap wireless would do 5 years ago)? This phone won't do it. You have to manually enter the entire phone book on each extension phone and the base - there is no sync feature. I am not hard-of-hearing, but on most calls, I have to turn the handset speaker phone on because the volume is insufficient to hear the caller; even with the speakerphone volume on high, it is hard to hear many callers. My wife has same problem - we're only in our mid-30's, so old age not the problem. Both the 1st phones and the replacements are the same. Oh, maybe you are interested in it for the bluetooth feature to pair this with your mobile. Don't waste your time. Won't stay paired, calls drop constantly (+75% drop). Clunky to set it up, and then it won't work consistently when you do get it set up. Unfortunately VTech had me convinced my 1st phone was defective, so I waited for the (still defective) replacements to show up and missed my opportunity to return this piece of junk to Amazon for a refund. Please don't make the same mistake!
Customer Review: Coolest phone I've ever owned - simple enough for the wife
I'm a serious techie - I don't NEED a phone that'll bond with my cell phones and let me make calls through them...a phone that'll let me assign a different [pre-loaded] picture or ringer for people in my phone book...a phone that glows and looks like the most modern remote the wife has ever seen with a beautiful color display, while having all the functionality I ask for in a digital cordless/answering machine. I don't need it, but I seriously crave it, so I bought it. I'm completely satisfied. If forced to come up with a complaint, it would be that the display in the base unit is a bit crooked - like it wasn't mounted correctly inside. No biggie though...if it bothers me enough I'll rip it apart. My wife was a bit intimidated by it at first - she complains that I buy things specifically that she won't be able to operate - but after using it a few times, she realized that the bells & whistles don't overshadow the fact that this is a high quality, crystal clear digital cordless phone...period. The extras don't have to be used, which is good for someone wanting to make a simple phone call. Definitely recommend.


No comments: